Wednesday, 18 January 2012

Food for thought

The Times this weekend had a excerpt from the new parenting 'bible' "French kids don't throw food".  I was keen to read this because I am a self-confessed francophile but quickly became irritated by the assumption that British (& American) kids were ill-behaved embarrassments in a restaurant.  LM is a dream dinner date.  Indeed I have even gone out on my with him as a treat ... for both of us.  He has been eating out with us from a very early age when he would watch us whilst sucking a cucumber stick to death and I'm convinced that that's why he is so good now.

 In fact I would go so far as to say that he eats better in a restaurant, clearing his plate with no fuss.


And whilst his favourite food when out is fish, chips & beans (& the fish doesn't have to be in finger form - he loves mackerel) he is quite happy to try new things too - even curry.
My LM may not be French but he doesn't have to be - I'm proud of his gastronomic behaviour.  I think if we assume our kids will misbehave then we are selling them short.

PS I should point out the author wasn't French but did live in France

2 comments:

  1. I do think that it's important to get children used to eating out, and they do learn from it. I usually go stocked up with stickers, crayons and paper to keep the toddler busy! Our baby is a bit little yet, our first meal out was a disaster (she screamed all through and we all had to take turns walking her about outside) but now that she is a bit bigger at least she can eat something at the table with us which keeps her busy.

    My two are fussy eaters though, and neither eats very much. It makes it cheaper though, they usually just share some of what we are eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try never to go anywhere without a couple of cars, mini colouring book, crayons & a snack for when the food takes too long. I think that is the only problem we have - food not arriving quick enough for one hungry LM

    ReplyDelete