LM is now at school. I can't quite believe it myself, just seeing my baby in his uniform brings a lump to my throat (but at least I didn't cry as he ran into the classroom that first day, without a backwards glance).
I knew LM wouldn't have too much of a problem - for the last term of preschool he spent one morning a week in Reception class getting to know the teacher & the routines - but I had thought (hoped?) he would be a little more reluctant to leave me. Alas no. I am supplanted by Miss W in his affections. The last few weeks of summer were spent drawing pictures for this other woman in his life, everything he does is just so he can tell her, and Saturday he said "I wish I was going to school today". I exaggerate of course. When the school day ends he is still my LM.
Although he has only done 2 days so far (let's see how long his enthusiasm lasts once he realises that this is it now for the next 12 years or so) I had to ask him what the best thing about school was. His reply surprised me: "Learning & stickle bricks". OK, so the stickle bricks part didn't surprise me, but the 'learning' bit did. I mean, how much can you have learnt in 2 days? So I asked him to elaborate. It turns out he has learnt about keeping the classroom tidy & putting things away. Bring on the homework!
I knew LM wouldn't have too much of a problem - for the last term of preschool he spent one morning a week in Reception class getting to know the teacher & the routines - but I had thought (hoped?) he would be a little more reluctant to leave me. Alas no. I am supplanted by Miss W in his affections. The last few weeks of summer were spent drawing pictures for this other woman in his life, everything he does is just so he can tell her, and Saturday he said "I wish I was going to school today". I exaggerate of course. When the school day ends he is still my LM.
Although he has only done 2 days so far (let's see how long his enthusiasm lasts once he realises that this is it now for the next 12 years or so) I had to ask him what the best thing about school was. His reply surprised me: "Learning & stickle bricks". OK, so the stickle bricks part didn't surprise me, but the 'learning' bit did. I mean, how much can you have learnt in 2 days? So I asked him to elaborate. It turns out he has learnt about keeping the classroom tidy & putting things away. Bring on the homework!
I had this last year. The first school day is just so emotional and you will never forget seen your child going into the classroom.
ReplyDeleteIt is great that your son enjoys it!