Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Tricky Mother

Well the summer holidays are still ongoing but I can't believe how quickly they are passing (apart from last week, when LM was away with grandparents, which was the longest week EVER).  But school is once more looming and to make sure LM didn't lapse in his reading & writing skills I have had to come up with stuff over the course of the summer to trick him into learning without it all being a bit of a chore - for either of us.

Firstly, the library made it easy with their summer reading scheme - there's not much LM won't do for a sticker or two - and the added bonus was that this year he actually got to read the books he chose himself.

As I knew he needed to work on his handwriting I came up with the idea of a holiday journal where he could draw pictures, stick in bits & bobs and, most importantly, write about what he has been up to.  On this one there has been some compromise as LM can't be persuaded to write more than one sentence on each activity, and he looks askance at any word he deems too long but on the whole he has enjoyed doing it as he has the incentive of taking it in for Show & Tell back at school.  (I wonder if I should provide a translation service for some pages?)

And today's 'fun' learning has been the Shopping List Treasure Hunt game (a bit of a mouthful I know but I'm still working on the title).  It involved me hiding various bits of plastic food around the garden then giving him a list which he had to read then find the relevant item.  He giggled with glee at the thought of getting one over on me when he spotted something he hadn't yet come to on his list but he should be grateful I wasn't so mean as to put aubergine on his list or the strange looking 'veg' that even I struggle to identify, and I'm a vegetarian!
I did make him add up simple numbers to come to his bill total though.  If only the weekly shop really came to just 25p!

No comments:

Post a Comment